BY: MICHAEL KINGCOTT
Head of Property Investment Strategy and Research, AMP Capital
With over $239 billion* in transport projects underway and in the pipeline, the boost
to infrastructure spending announced in the 2014-15 Federal Budget will create opportunities for investors.
Over the next decade, we expect that the large volume of road and rail projects will
improve mobility and reduce congestion across the major cities. This will benefit
‘cheaper’ emerging locations in western Sydney, Melbourne and south-west Brisbane (and areas close to inland ports) when they complete.
In our view, the following key projects will have the biggest impact on the industrial
property landscape over the long term:
• Sydney: The Westconnex project (linking the M4 to South Sydney and expanding
the M5 East tunnels), Badgerys Creek Airport infrastructure, Sydney Rail Freight Strategy
• Melbourne: Port of Hastings, Victorian Freight and Logistics Plan, East Link
• Brisbane: Legacy Way/Clem7 tunnels, Ipswich to Port Brisbane Freight line, Bromelton and Ebenezer Intermodal Terminals
• Perth: Port of Kwinana, the Perth Freight Link/Gateway WA project
* Access Economics March 2014 Investment Monitor